Thursday, March 24, 2011

The sky is falling... and the rivers are rising to meet it...

Steve's trip began just before the earthquake in Japan and in addition to our own little tsunami that created havoc in the local small craft harbor, after a relatively peaceful winter, we have gotten what seems like an entire season's worth of rain and storms in the two weeks or so he's been away. Today, howling winds and driving rain took out the power at my work. It was restored later this afternoon (thank goodness, we wouldn't want to take too long a break from taxes after all) but is still out in downtown and parts of the eastside of Santa Cruz. There are flash flood warnings up for two of our local rivers. The large river (the San Lorenzo) near my work was at the highest I'd ever seen it, with the water flirting with the bike path along its edge.

Talking with my boss about the potential flooding, he asked "were you in Santa Cruz in '82?" Before I could stop myself, I said "I wasn't born yet." He laughed and proceeded to tell me about the disastrous flooding that carried redwood trees downstream and lead to the replacement of two major bridges.

I felt really good coming away from that exchange. My age doesn't even register with my boss. I often worry about people taking me seriously with my baby face. At least one person does, it would seem.

No comments: