Monday, March 30, 2009

Spring in Santa Cruz

I know I spend a lot of time insulting Santa Cruz, but it can be really beautiful in the spring.


Steve insisted that I leave the house yesterday to see the flowers growing in the fields around the UC Santa Cruz campus. The poppies are in season, and I admit it's quite striking (probably better in person than in my pictures, but that's the way it goes).


On a less hazy day, you can see the ocean just beyond those evergreens.

Saturday, March 28, 2009

Too Cool for School, but Studying Anyway...

Well, as much as I tried to put it off, it’s finally happened. I ran out of excuses and the California Board of Accountancy ran out of ways to delay me, so I’m finally scheduled to take the CPA exam. I managed to keep it at bay for four years after graduation with my accounting degree and ignore my boss asking about it for three years. But, sadly, all good things must come to an end.

I will be taking “Business Environment and Concepts” on April 18th, “Financial Accounting and Reporting” in May, “Auditing and Attestation” in July, and “Regulation” in August. I decided to split up the exam parts this way so I only have to study for one at a time. So, starting today, if you’re wondering what I’m up to, I’ll be studying.

I was really hoping that the studying would end when I graduated from college.

But, I have high hopes for my future CPA license: to never ever have to use it.

Friday, March 13, 2009

The Recession Looms

Steve and I have been in a state of limbo for quite awhile now. Somehow four years of undergraduate studies has turned into eight years in the city of Santa Cruz. I had ambitions to move last year, but when it didn’t work out, I resigned myself to a 2009 move.

Well, now things are up in the air again. As everyone is undoubtedly aware, the job marked it pretty terrible right now. Steve has been staying on top of the Southern California listings for lab management, but the prospects have been fairly grim so far. He will continue to look and we may have a shot at moving yet, but I have been preparing myself for the very real possibility that we won’t be able to find jobs in Southern California this year.

Just to throw another variable into the mix, Steve is planning to apply to the UC Davis chemistry graduate program to possibly pursue a masters degree. Graduate programs are very competitive right now, so we’ll just have to wait and see.

While I recognize that there are some positives to the delay of our move, I am disappointed. I was really excited to leave. I’m tired of doing audits as part of my job, and I’m pretty tired of Santa Cruz in general. But, I suppose if we’re delayed, we’ll have a chance to finally pay off that darn student loan and put some savings away, since our jobs are relatively stable even during this tough time.

Possibly less stable is our housing. We live in the front half of a duplex that we share with our landlord. The walls are particularly thin in our bathroom which shares a wall with their kitchen. While brushing my teeth a few days ago, I overheard the landlord on speaker phone with his mortgage lender. He was saying that once their payment adjusts, they won’t be able to make the mortgage payments. The lender replied that there was nothing they could do unless the mortgage was delinquent.

Doing a little research on Zillow.com, Steve and I found that our landlord bought the house in April of 2004, supporting what I heard in that many adjustable rate mortgages had 5 year fixed terms to start. So, if their payment adjusts next month and they can’t afford it, things could get interesting. I know it will take awhile for foreclosure proceeding to finalize, so we’re fine for awhile… unless they decide to attempt to sell the house, which could mean they’d want us out. They haven’t said a word to us yet, which isn’t surprising given that they’re probably trying to figure out what to do.

By way of a contingency plan, Steve asked Sarah, one of the grad students he works with, to put in a good word for us with their landlord. She is planning to leave Santa Cruz sometime this summer and she has a fantastic rental house which would be an upgrade from what we have now. Steve and I decided that if she ends up moving and we end up getting the place, we will take it no matter what is happening here. It’s a nicer property, and we’ll be able to get away from the coming instability in our current housing.