Coming out to look, Steve agreed with me that it appeared that the rabbit was living under the hedge. There were some dirt piles that seemed inconsistent with our usual gophers.
We watched for the rabbit every day since then, but did not see it again. Our neighbor reported a sighting, but that was it. Until today.
Steve came home to have lunch with me and as we were leaving to take him back up to campus, he spotted the rabbit in the side yard. We managed to corral it in a precision pen up against our neighbor's house. Bribing it with raisins and yogurt treats, I managed to get close enough to grab it. Steve helped me load the bunny into a carrier and I brought it inside.
Being such a ridiculously frequent customer at my vet (quite literally everyone there knows me), they squeezed me in between appointments to take a look at the rabbit we had caught. They could tell me that she is in excellent health (other than being skinny), is an adult (at least 1 1/2 years old) and has not been spayed.
The last thing I really need is another rabbit, but what do you say to one that shows up on your doorstep? My vet said this rabbit was the luckiest around to have ended up at our door. Flattering, but do I really need six bunnies? Of course not. But of course she's stretched out looking all comfy and happy in our kitchen (pictured below). [sigh] I really like her. We'll see what happens.
(I didn't fix the red eye in this picture because she actually has red eyes)
1 comment:
She's gonna have amuch better life now
Post a Comment