Tuesday, October 12, 2010

One Car Family

Steve and I are fortunate enough to live close to our places of employment. He usually rides the bus or his motorcycle on the short trip up the hill to the University. I have a short drive through downtown... usually 10 minutes or so. We do almost all of our errands together. For our lifestyle, we really don't need two cars.

I hadn't given much thought to getting rid of a vehicle until my 2004 Pontiac Grand Am developed a series of strange problems. Most recently, it had developed a delayed acceleration problem that neither my independent mechanic or the GM dealer could diagnose. Basically, I had lost all my faith in the car for long trips. And it was costing us a decent chunk of change to keep it around (insurance, registration, maintenance and repairs etc.).

Steve and I talked about it and decided we really could live quite easily with one car. So, I sold the car a few weeks ago. I was waiting to see what I thought of the one car life before posting about it.

I haven't noticed any difference, except that I don't have to park on the street anymore and Steve's truck has a much better audio system than my car had. All in all, I'd say the one car lifestyle is going to work out just fine.

On somewhat of a side note, I tend to get sentimentally attached to inanimate objects, but I didn't have much attachment to the Pontiac. It was the car that got decorated for our wedding, but that's the only significant memory I have attached to it.


2 comments:

Abbie said...

as i recall, you were much more attached to the previous car. what was it named? fred?

Lisa said...

Close enough. He was Harvey, the best car ever.