My ring once belonged to my great-grandmother. It was passed to my mother, but she already had her engagement and wedding rings, so it sat in a safety deposit box. She gave it to me as a hint to Steve probably around six months before he proposed.
Steve recently acquired a new ring. The day after he proposed, we went out and bought him an engagement ring. I felt it was a bit one-sided for just the woman to wear an engagement ring. I guess it was warm that day, and his hands were swollen or something, because the ring has never fit since. He had been wearing on his middle finger. When his mother commented about it, we explained, and she wandered off and returned with this ring.
It belonged to Steve’s dad and was worn for 35 years until it just didn’t fit right anymore. They were kind enough to allow Steve to wear it, and it fits perfectly.
I feel fortunate to have so much family history in the palms of our hands.
2 comments:
I remember that ring. Dad wore it forever.
Your piece inspired me to explain what happened to free up Steve's "new" wedding ring. See my wedding ring blog entry.
Post a Comment